Ivorian footballer player, Nicolas Pepe has become the most expensive African player of all time.
He signed for Arsenal FC from Lille of France in a deal worth about €80 million.
The 24-year-old played a total of 80 games for Lille, scoring 37 goals with 18 assists.
He becomes Arsenal most expensive signing in history after the arrivals of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Alexandre Lacazette in the Summer of 2018 for €63 million and €53 million respectively.
The top five most expensive African players are:
- Nicolas Pepe – Lille to Arsenal – US$89 million
- Cedric Bakambu – Villareal to Beijing Guoan – US$79 million
- Riyad Mahrez – Leicester City to Manchester City – US$72 million
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang – Borussia Dortmund – Arsenal – US$68 million
- Naby Keita – RB Leipzig – Liverpool – US$64 million